socastcmsRssStartOldies 100.9 News staffsocastcmsRssEnd

The full open-air burn ban put into effect across all local municipalities by the Northumberland County Fire Chiefs Association has been lifted as of today (Wednesday, Aug. 27.)
“Based on significant rainfall, cooler temperatures and more rain in the forecast, the county-wide open-air burn ban has been lifted in Northumberland County, effective immediately,” said Mike Robinson, president of the association, in a recent release.
The ban was previously put in place back on Aug. 6 amid increasing concerns around elevated fire danger and extremely dry conditions and worsening air quality caused by raging wildfires.
Residents are still being urged to act responsibly and use extreme caution during open-air burns. Officials also continue to ask residents to do their part to reduce the risk of fires by never discarding cigarette butts, lighters or matches on the ground, in vegetation or out of car windows, to practise forest stewardship and stay vigilant to protect the community.
Further, residents need to follow local municipal open-air burning bylaws, added Robinson.
As a reminder, failure to comply with bylaws can result in fines and/or charges under the Ontario Fire Code and municipal bylaws.
Amid drought-like conditions, officials continue to ask people to report any signs of fire immediately.
“Your co-operation and understanding are appreciated as we work together to protect our community,” said Robinson.
More “fire smart” tips are accessible online. Additional information can also be found via municipal and fire department websites in local communities.
(Written by: Sarah Hyatt)